Sunday, March 14, 2010

I didn't get the memo on the time change! (A ramble about scramble)

Well with the happy time change last night, (no I did not get the memo on it, but Ive also had a fever the past 2 days) good thing I did not have to be at work today or anything important, because my clock said 7am when I woke up and now my computer clock is saying 8:30 am. I don't think I lost that much time between waking up, letting the dog out, making a cup of tea and settling in behind the computer. Sissy is in town I will ask her when she gets up, as a matter of fact I think I hear her stirring now. Or maybe I did loose that much time, one never knows. Since Melissa is in town I'm actually going to make breakfast this morning, unless the 2 lovebirds go running out the door back to her mom's house for one more final visit, then Sissy goes back to Georgia this evening. Well I guess there was a time change, normally I see something posted somewhere on FB or AOL, and I didn't yesterday. I do not watch the evening news, although the older i get the more i think I may want to start tuning in once a night. Usually most information I get, weather, etc, I can get online. I think my hate for the evening news, other than its depressing, goes back to when I used to spend pajama nights at my grandparents house, grandpa used to come home turn on the news, and that was ALL we watched on the TV, until between about 7-9, then another hour of NEWS, then bed. Okay so, what brings me to the blog at this lovely, quiet hour of the morning when the earth is relatively still. I hate this, it feels like 730am and it's 830 am... UGH! I had a few thoughts late in the night while i slept about the blog that I will put into practice on it today. So, The Otten Family Egg Scramble, yup this is what I will make for breakfast! This is a breakfast my mom made forever and ever. She made it during the week or on the weekend, even sometimes for dinner. (which, was very rare, but I think i can count on one hand the number of times she did make it for dinner) Again this is another meal I confess, I grew into. I did not eat eggs as a child, to this day the only way I will eat eggs are in am omelette, scrambled or Over Well, which even as I'm staring at this Wikkipedia article (they are going to get a stern letter from me in the difference between Over Hard and Over Well Eggs) Yes, both the eggs are cooked, but in over hard you break the yolk at a certain point to make sure it cooks, in over well, you do not break the yolk! Grrr... anyway.... here is a typical breakfast menu that we do on the weekends....

Egg Scramble

Tater Tots with Garlic Dip ( instead of hash browns)

Orange Juice, Coffee or Tea

Sausage or Bacon

and there you have it...

Now, scrambled eggs, do you add milk, water, cream half and half or something else. Okay, so in theory, Milk will toughen the egg, water will make it more spongy, and cream/half and half will make it more ,... well... creamy. But after all these years of eating scrambled eggs, to tell you honestly, I can never tell the difference. I know from adding Milk to eggs, there is a taste difference to me rather than using just water. The adding or milk or water to eggs actually comes out of the need for poor families to help extend a meal as much as they could. Also the addition of milk into an egg dish, will help the ingredients bind together better with the egg than water. ( I don't know how, that's the magic of cooking chemistry!) I've also been known to add heavy cream to scrambled eggs, yes they taste richer.. as far as creamier tasting? I think you would have to do the slow scramble method (which involves either using very low heat or over a double boiler, and who wants to mess with that at 7am?) then you will get creamy eggs. If you even want to get more into this, its been remarked that Americans tend to OVER COOK their eggs. If we were in France at a bistro and ordered an Omelette, the center would come to us just slightly under cooked (according to American Standards) but, you would have a more flavorful and moist Omelette. (That by the way, is very tasty!)
Other people claim you don't need butter or nothing, just a great non stick skillet, nature provided water in the egg, you just need to start with a cold pan, a cold egg and cook it over very low heat. I am very afraid to try that! LOL! I have heard of people adding a very small amount of cream of tarter to their scrambled eggs to help in the fluffiness, that really is not necessary, it has to do more with the way you whisk your eggs, not over whisking and how you handle them in the pan. Ive also read recently about people putting in cottage cheese or sour cream instead of milk. In my mind, if you beat the sour cream with a little bit of cream to smooth it out, then add it to the eggs, using a mild or sharp cheddar at the end and sprinkling of chives on top to have Eggs Romanov, that would be different, Ill give that a try and let you know how it turns out. Alright, Melissa is awake so I'm going to end this article and get to cooking, ( Ill post the egg scramble and dip recipe later I want to spend some time with her) So in Summary, use water if you want fluffier eggs, use milk to either extend the egg, add a small amount of flavor, or like the scramble recipe it you want the ingredients to bind together with the egg. Use heavy cream and half and half if you want a "creamier" egg, although, the way you whisk the egg and handle it in the pan will have more influence on the final product. Oh, about the whisking, don't sit this and whisk around in a circle. think of it like you are folding egg whites into something, take your whisk go to the bottom of the bowl, and whisk as if you were folding something in, at a normal brisk speed, making sure not to over beat, otherwise you will toughen the protein strands in the egg. Okay, I'm off to make breakfast... see ya! =) PS. Omelette is the French Spelling for Omelet.. sort of like theater and theatre.....

No comments:

Post a Comment