Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bobby's Real Sausage Gravy

There are 3 keys to absolutely wonderful sausage gravy... 1. Get a flavorful, relatively high fat content breakfast sausage. The sausage is the focus and has to have some flavor to it. Do not even attempt to use that lean or low fat breakfast sausage that is out there.. it simply will not work. I hate to say names but I am not fond of Jimmy Dean or Tennessee Pride sausage. I have used one over the years, that works, but its still not 100%. When we did this dish in culinary school, the breakfast sausage they had was PHENOMENAL, and the gravy was so tasty. Ive rummaged through my culinary breakfast notes, knowing I wrote the name of this sausage down and much to my dismay, I cannot find it! If anyone has any suggestions for sausage, please leave a comment at the bottom of the page. The butcher guy in Midlothian, who is now closed, use to get his breakfast sausage from somewhere else, that was excellent sausage!! I wonder where he got it from though... if anyone from the family knows.. please leave a comment! 2. When browning the flour with the sausage, just brown it until it starts to smell "nutty". Do not over brown or your gravy comes out dark, or under you have that bizarre taste of flour in the background that does not make for good gravy. 3. Plenty of fresh ground pepper to taste. Jar or pre ground pepper does not have the same flavor and can lead the gravy to tasting flat or worst over seasoned. If your worried about your gravy not having a perfect, white color, fear not, after all the years of cooking it, and making it in a restaurant in Kansas... they use a powdered mix to get it that special white color!!

1 package Bulk Breakfast Sausage

Milk, half and half or heavy cream (apprx. 2 cups, maybe more maybe less)

Freshly Ground pepper and Salt to Taste

1-2 T. Flour, more if needed.

Brown your sausage in a pan, leaving the grease in. Sprinkle in 1 T. of flour, and add more till you have a loose roux. Cook this until the flour starts to smell nutty, Immediately add one cup of milk to the pan, stirring until it thickens. Continue adding milk till reached desired consistency. Add in the Freshly ground pepper and a dash of salt, turn the heat down to low, and simmer the gravy for 10 minutes over a nice low heat to give a chance for the flavors to incorporate. Serve this with hot homemade biscuits or Pillsbury.

2 comments:

  1. When i go to the store next time I will find the sausage I use. I do not have a roll in the house at this moment, and the name is escaping me. I keep wanting to call it Farmville Sausage, but, thats not it.. too much time on Facebook. LOL I like the sausage cause it has a high fat content, and a good flavor, however, its not thee best flavor sausage that is out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God knows I miss you Boo...

    Not a day passes that I don't think about you
    Not a day passes that I don't recall a special moment on the phone
    Not a day passes that I don't wish I could reLIVE our time in Las Vegas
    Not a day passes that I don't miss the ever lovin' hell out of you
    Not a day passes that I don't look at my bathroom, our NEXUS, and want to do what I NEED to do to talk with you
    Not a day passes that I don't FEEL you whenever I listen to "our song"...

    I love you, my Bobby-Boo ~
    Forever & ALWAYS, your Katie-monster

    ReplyDelete